– Cadet Warrant Officer First Class Nicholas Lourens, from Salmon Arm, British Columbia, is spending the summer of 2019 learning to fly. And, on July 19, 2019, he was selected to have a VIP experience with the Canadian Armed Forces’ Demonstration CF-188 Hornet.
– On the morning of August 19, 2019, a contingent of approximately 60 members of 2 Air Expeditionary Wing departed Bagotville, Quebec, for Operation Reassurance in Romania.
– The RCAF’s 401 Squadron was one of nine Canadian squadrons that took part in Operation Jubilee—the raid on Dieppe, France—on August 19, 1942.
– The second week of July, 2019, was an exciting one for some members of 413 Search and Rescue Squadron as they left 14 Wing Greenwood, Nova Scotia, and headed north for the Arctic Buoy drop. This was the first time 14 Wing had been tasked with this annual mission.
– Pilot Officer John Gardiner was born in Saskatchewan on July 8, 1919. He and his wingman died during Operation Jubilee when their Spitfires collided in the sky while being attacked by a German fighter. They are buried side by side in France.
– Canada will provide the United Nations with tactical airlift support out of Entebbe, in Uganda, during the next 12 months.
– Stirling David Banks was born on April 7, 1923, in Popular Grove, Prince Edward Island. His life would end 19 short years later, lost when his Hurricane aircraft went down during Operation Jubilee, the disastrous raid on Dieppe.
– You can’t keep a good aircraft down!