60 Seconds with Lieutenant-Commander Drew Foran, Commanding officer of HMCS Oriole on the 2019 Great Lakes Deployment
Hi, my name is Lieutenant-Commander Drew Foran. I’m the commanding officer of HMCS Oriole, the oldest ship in the Royal Canadian Navy and the longest serving commissioned ship in the Royal Canadian Navy, and this is the 60 Seconds Challenge. You ready? And go!
- Go-to-karaoke song?
Only Wanna Be With You by Hootie & the Blowfish.
- Best part of being in the Navy.
The travelling and the sense of accomplishment.
- How do you keep mentally healthy?
I think work/life balance is the way to go for that.
- Do pineapples belong on pizza?
Not in my house.
- What is GLD?
That is the Great Lakes Deployment. That’s when the Navy ships come in the Great Lakes and the population surrounding this area get to meet the sailors, hear their stories and see the ships.
- What makes a good leader?
I would say leading by example.
- What’s one thing you always bring on ship?
My neck buff which protects my face from all the wind.
- Who’s been the most influential on your career?
For sure, my mom. She did 40 years in the Navy and was a Chief Petty Officer First Class when she retired.
- If you weren’t in the Navy, what would you pursue?
Rock and roll.
- What’s the most memorable moment you had in the Navy?
Deploying to Southern Sudan as a peacekeeper.
- Does the five-second rule apply on ship?
On a 90-year-old ship… No comment.
- Favourite Navy movie?
Master and Commander for sure.
- Describe yourself in three words.
Sailor, well-turned-out, keeps-good kid.
(Man) That’s it.
(DF) That’s it. Done.
- Date modified: