Voluntary occupation transfer: trained competitions for officers and non-commissioned members

Sub-Lieutenant Luke Jeffries takes a reading of the ship's compass on board Her Majesty?s Canadian Ship HALIFAX during Fleet Ex on August 22, 2014. Photo: Cpl Eric Girard, Canadian Forces Combat Camera IS2014-7510-13 ~ L?enseigne de vaisseau de 1re classe Luke Jeffries prend une lecture de la boussole du Navire canadien de Sa Majesté HALIFAX (FFH 330), le 22 août 2014, pendant un exercice de la flotte. Photo : Cpl Eric Girard, Caméra de combat des Forces canadiennes IS2014-7510-13


Officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces who have completed training in their current occupation and wish to change their occupation are advised to familiarize themselves with the newly released CANFORGEN 077/19.

The 2020 Regular Force in Service Selection (ISS) competition opens June 3, 2019. Interested members can choose a maximum of three occupations and must be willing to accept an offer to any of the desired occupations listed on their application form. As a minimum, all applicants must have attained the following:

  • Achieved their Basic Military Qualification or Basic Military Officer Qualification
  • Meet the entry standards for the desired occupation(s)
  • Hold a valid medical category for the desired occupation(s)
  • Hold a valid FORCE (Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment) Test, and any other applicable physical fitness standards required for certain occupations
  • Not be under remedial measures

CANFORGEN 077/19 contains additional information related to eligibility, applicable deadlines, required documents, and additional criteria.

The operational success of the Canadian Armed Forces depends on our ability to generate and maintain a large, skilled, and volunteer force to meet a broad range of tasks at home and abroad. Providing a fulfilling career to our members in uniform is also a fundamental consideration in how the Canadian Armed Forces manages military personnel. This is why members are provided with the opportunity to voluntarily change their occupation in the early stages of their career, where possible.

Members willing to go through the voluntary occupation transfer process must first notify their chain of command of their intention to apply so that their unit can initiate the administrative process. Units and applicants are encouraged to contact their local Personnel Selection Officer should they have any questions.

Date modified: