“New” military aircraft for Alberta museums

An old biplane with the word “Edmonton” written on the side of the fuselage and “May Airplanes Ltd. Edmonton” written on the tail. One person sits in the cockpit and another stands behind the aircraft.
The JN-4 “Canuck” that is now on display at the Royal Alberta Museum was rented by Wilfrid “Wop” May from the City of Edmonton and it flew with May Airplanes Ltd. from 1919 to 1924. PHOTO: Courtesy of Wop’s son, Denny May

Tags: | |

Three aircraft recently placed in Alberta museums figured prominently in training Canadian and Allied pilots for two world wars.

At the new location of the Royal Alberta Museum, in the centre of downtown Edmonton, Alberta, is a restored Canadian-built 1918 Curtiss JN-4 (Canadian). Known as a “Canuck” to distinguish it from the American version, the “Jenny”, it hangs suspended in the entrance of its new home. Read the rest of the story . . .

Date modified: