60 Seconds with RAdm Darren Hawco, Chief of Force Development and Innovation Co-Champion
Rear-Admiral Darren Hawco, Chief of Force Development and Innovation Co-Champion
What is your favourite emoji? I don’t know what an emoji is; my children will be disappointed.
Gooday, my name is Rear-Admiral Darren Hawco. I’m the Chief of Force Development here at National Defence Headquarters, and I’m here to take the ’60 Second Challenge’.
- What does the Chief of Force Development do?
We analyse the capability requirements to the Canadian Armed Forces, we provide advice to the Chief of the Defence Staff and the Deputy Minister on the stuff we need, and then we determine how and when we’re going to acquire it.
- What is your worst habit?
I am late. And I’m a leaver, I’m not a putter as my wife will tell you.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
My family’s in wild debate about this. I’m a flyer.
- What does innovation mean to you?
In the military we play to win, innovating is part of winning. Sharks move forward or they die.
- If you weren’t in your current profession, what would you want to do?
I always wanted to be a cowboy.
- What are your hobbies?
Keeping my four teenage daughters happy, and biking.
- What is your favourite part of your job?
That it makes a difference.
- What is the most valuable piece of advice you have ever received?
Don’t speak to people, talk to people.
- Date modified: